5 Sales Strategies You Need to Drive Results
We are about here, October 1st marks the beginning of the MOST important sales quarter of the year! Why? Because whatever you do in the fourth quarter will determine just how successful you are going to be in 2019. Yeah, it is THAT important!
Laying the groundwork, making the calls, and setting the stage now will ensure you start 2019 strong, and if you want to increase sales in 2019, then you need to start planning now. Funny thing about fourth quarter is that most of us tend to back off, slow down and just not put the energy into our sales planning that we do throughout the rest of the year.
And I get it. First, you’re tired. You have been going at it for the last three quarters, giving it everything you’ve got, and you need a break. Then there is the understanding that by the end of third quarter, you know whether you are going to hit your sales goals for the year or not, and nothing you do in the fourth quarter is going to change that. Add to that, it is the holiday season, starting right at the end of October and running until the first week in January, it seems like every week there is some sort of celebration going on. As a result, you’re busy, your customers are busy, and no one has the time for a sales call.
The excuses are valid. The fact remains is the work you do in the fourth quarter determines the number of doors you will open and sales you will close in 2019. Then, how do you keep the energy going, and make your fourth quarter rock?
5 Sales Strategies You Need To Increase Sales Performance for Next Year
- Get a plan – now is the time to sit down, take an hour or two and think about what you need to accomplish in the 4th Look at the holiday schedule, the commitments you have made, and determine what time you will have available to make sales calls. Then set some goals – put some hard numbers to networking, sales calls, and sales follow-up calls. networking events will you attend, how many sales calls will you make, and how many proposals will you write?Going into the fourth quarter with a plan will ensure you use the limited time you have as effectively as possible and will keep you from getting off track with the busy work that comes with end-of-the-year commitments.
- Build your list – Think about your best customers, your top prospects, leads that have gone cold, and those prospects that are still on your wish list. Being proactive with your calls in the fourth quarter is vital to your success.Then sit down and write out exactly who you are going to spend this fourth quarter calling on, where is the highest and best use of your time?
- Get creative – on how you will call on them. Again, fourth quarter can be tricky – holiday season, end of the year reporting, and just the hustle and bustle of trying to get everything done on time. To make sales calls in the fourth quarter requires you getting out of your box and thinking differently. Maybe you will have a holiday party and invite prospects and customers; you will perhaps do an end-of-the-year review with your top customers. Perhaps you will make a “thank you for your business” call to anyone you closed a deal with this year. Whatever it is, get out of your traditional sales calling strategies, and take a more creative approach.
- Set the stage – the most important sales strategy for the fourth quarter is setting the stage. While fourth quarter can be a tough time to ask for business, it is the perfect time to let your prospects and customers know that you will be calling them right after the new year to design a plan for making 2019 their best year on record. Setting the stage ensures you have permission to start making sales calls right after “Happy New Year.” If you don’t set the stage, then guess what – you not only blew 4th quarter – you will lose the first two weeks of January too.
- Review and adjust at the end of every month – October, November, and December, take the time to review and adjust. What is going well with your fourth quarter plan, what results are you getting, and what if anything, would you change?
Yes, the fourth quarter is the most powerful sales quarter of the year. Follow these strategies, and you will position yourself to open more doors, close more sales and start 2019 strong!